First Steps in Finding Help

  • You can get referrals from your family doctor, clergy or local Mental Health America office and crisis centers.
  • Your insurance company can provide a list of providers who are in your plan.
  • Eligible veterans can get care through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. For more information, go to or call
  • Your local health department’s mental health division or community mental health center provides low-cost treatment and services. These services are state funded and are obligated to first serve individuals who meet “priority population criteria” as defined by the state Mental Health Department.
  • Your company’s employee assistance program (EAP) can issue a referral to a provider. Reach out to your Human Resources office to get more information about your company’s EAP.
  • Medicare offers a list of participating doctors on its website, (Click on “Find a Doctor”).

source: Mental Health America

< Back to About Mental Health